In this video, Judy explains the purpose of a technical report: to give technical information to either inform or to persuade the reader. She covers different types of reports, such as describing a process or progress on a project, sharing results, or offering background information. In addition, learn how to establish the main point of the technical report using a clear, complete statement.
- [Instructor] In the most simplistic terms,…the purpose of a technical report…is to give technical information…to either inform or to persuade the reader.…Analyzing and understanding the what,…the purpose of your specific technical report,…and why, why you're preparing this specific technical report…are crucial to writing a thorough,…targeted technical report.…The first all-important questions…to achieving a strong technical report…is to understand the what.…
Is it to recommend, to analyze, or to inform?…And the why, to show progress on a project,…to describe a process,…or to persuade the reader to accept your recommendation.…Answering the what and why questions…will help you understand what the project is expected to do.…Look at these purpose statements.…The purpose of this report, or project,…is to recommend the controls that need to be established…to help prevent soil erosion and water pollution…around highway construction sites.…
Or here's another example.…The primary goal of this project is to analyze…the technical elements of creating an HTML code.…
- Identifying the purpose and main point of the report
- Evaluating audience needs
- Conducting research
- Writing a first draft
- Writing an abstract
- Including methodology and procedure
- Creating a cover letter
- Crediting sources
- Considering language formality
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Writing a Business Reportwith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 58m Appropriate for all
Business Writing Principleswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 32m Beginner
Business Writing Strategieswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 59m Appropriate for all
Writing in Plain Englishwith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 51m Beginner
2. Analyze Audience Characteristics
Evaluate audience needs3m 41s
3. Writing Process
4. Sections of a Technical Report
5. Mechanical Elements
Next steps2m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.