Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video How should you treat equity?, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- When you have a small game company,…let's say, small game company…being ten people or less.…You don't wanna have too many owners in that company.…More than four owners becomes onerous.…Let's say five, not bad for breaking ties,…but you don't really want to get bigger than five.…It's hard to have a lot of owners that care a lot…about the company, that will do anything for it.…You end up, when you have a group…that's too big, they will let some of the main…people making decisions to continue making decisions,…and at some point it's like why do…we even have five people owning the company?…You can incentivize people in other ways…with bonuses and stuff like that,…but it's good to…to treat equity as the people who are in…this at the very beginning, at the core…who are making this company,…equally cut those shares up.…
Make sure everybody is getting the same amount.…When we started id Software,…we didn't start it as equally as…we would have liked.…At some point, our artist Adrian Carmack,…I thought that he should be getting the same…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.