Most salespeople are not always comfortable calling on the Power Buyers because they don’t know what to say. These busy executives can be unforgiving if they’re not approached in the right way. Salespeople who fail to capture their attention are shown the virtual door quickly. This video prepares you to reach out to these Power Buyers by letting you into their world and providing you with language that matches their hot buttons.
- Early in my career in inside sales when I'd be prospecting and calling in to different companies doing my typical intro, every so often a CEO or president would answer the phone and that would completely throw me off. I'd be frozen. I'd be stumbling over my words. I felt completely unprepared and sure enough, he wouldn't give me any time and he'd shoot me right back down the ladder. Have you ever stumbled over yourself because someone high level answered and you didn't know what to say? Do you get super nervous when you have to call the C level and think you were just gonna get shot back down the hierarchy? I want to introduce you to this power buyer, someone who usually has a C level title and provide you with some insights about their character and their personality.
They are highly influential. They've earned a very high level of influence and credibility and want to be approached with the highest level of respect and knowledge. They have exceptional communication skills. They're extremely articulate over email and on the phone. They can easily and quickly access the highest level for meeting or review and ultimately have the influence in speeding up the decision making process.
They're in demand. They're stretched in many directions, invited to participate in numerous meetings and involved in multiple committees. They are well liked and highly respected. They hold the budget. They have both purchasing influence and buying authority. They have a high level understanding of the technical as well as the business needs in their department and organization. They're decisive. They have the power to make things happen and know exactly where to find the budget dollars.
They're unforgiving if they're not approached the right way. If you want to be talking at their high altitude, you need to hold your ground and start matching your language with their hot buttons. What keeps them up at night are very high level issues that impact their business and their entire organization. It isn't the nuts and bolts or speeds and feeds. They are strategic and they think about prestige, profitability, productivity and gaining market share.
They have to satisfy shareholders, boost their visibility while maintaining their competitive edge. When it comes to expenses, they're looking for greater return and lowering the cost of sale. So the next time you find yourself on the phone, instead of stumbling over your words, you might want to consider saying something like this. Bob, I realize you're looking to grow your competitive edge and gain strong market share in this tight economy and our fortune 500 customers have consistently relied on our product because they find their investment pays off within the first few months of using our product.
Remember, a power buyer will only respond when you're fully prepared so take the time to prepare an introduction that will prevent you from getting shut down by a power buyer.
- Understanding the qualities of successful inside sales pros
- Using the right sales tools
- Social selling with LinkedIn
- Improving your response rate
- Building a foolproof qualification plan
- Getting past gatekeepers
- Handling objections
- Closing the sale