To help manage inevitable failures during a sales call, it helps to know your numbers. Know how many attempts it takes to close a deal so that having one fail is closer to the one you will win.
- The only thing worse than blowing a sales call…is blowing a sales call in front of your boss,…but we've all done it.…Nobody likes to fail, but sales isn't like school…where you can get straight A's.…You see, sales has a built in element of failure.…I want to share a story with you.…Several years ago, our business had…the most successful year we'd had up until that point…and I was looking at the financial results of my husband,…who's my business partner,…and I noticed the travel expenses were really high.…
My travel expenses were really high.…As I got into it, I realized…I had made a number of sales calls,…gotten on a plane and gone places,…and we hadn't closed the business.…So I said to my husband,…next year, I'm gonna make sure…that I don't have so many calls that fail.…My husband said, "I absolutely disagree."…He said, "We had our best year ever…because you were willing to fail."…He looked me straight in the eye and he said,…"If you close everything you're trying for,…"you're not trying hard enough."…He was absolutely right.…
In this course, Lisa outlines key techniques to find and leverage your "noble purpose" and connect with customers on a deeper level. Learn the three key elements of a great call opening, when and when not to use a pitch deck, and the secrets to creating a sales process that can flex with different customer types. Last, she provides advice to develop yourself professionally, such as how to talk to senior leaders and position yourself as a strategy partner instead of a pitchman, when and how to take your boss on a sales call, and how to network effectively. Use these tips to close bigger, close faster, and make your work more meaningful.
- Name three questions you should answer when crafting your noble purpose.
- Identify the first action you should take in a new sales job.
- Recall three pieces of information that should be included in a “win” email to the boss.
- Recognize the biggest challenge for salespeople.
- Determine what needs to be included in a pitch deck.
- List two reasons why a sales cycle may be longer than usual.