Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video How to prepare to present to investors, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- When you're going to approach investors…to fund a game development,…it's important for you to have…basically a really good pitch.…Some people, they run through pitches all day long…and they need them to be pretty short.…And I would advise if you're trying to get money,…to make a few different kinds of pitches.…You know, one is a very short pitch.…It could be a one- or two-pager,…which just boils down what this game is all about.…They should understand what it is.…
Like, it's a decorator business sim. Bam.…You know, it's an RTS with monetization.…It's an FPS with monetization, you know.…And reference other games that do what you're trying to do,…but whatever your twist is,…so there is reference.…They need to understand what you're selling them.…And one of the things that's important, also…is that you're creating a new intellectual property.…which is valuable in itself.…That's something that like, people do invest in games…a lot because of the intellectual property generated…and the revenue that comes from those things.…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.