Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video How much do nonprogrammers need to know?, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- When you are looking to hire programming staff…and you're not a programmer,…it's really important for you to make connections…with people who are programmers…and who can recommend…program, you know, coder leads.…What you need to do is find a programming lead…that people, that basically people agree…is really, really good.…Like, LinkedIn is a really great place…to see recommendations on people.…With a lot of recommendations, you can see…that somebody is genuinely really great…and when you talk to them,…you can see whether that's backed up.…
You know, by conversation.…But, don't just jump into hiring somebody…at the very beginning, who's the head of,…the head of a department…because you need to make sure…that that person really is good…because from that point on,…as I said before, errors magnify over time.…If you get the wrong person,…you could destroy everything (laughs).…You could hire someone who then…hires a bunch of coders, who then revolt against him…because they hate them.…So, you need to get the right person at the very top.…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.