Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video How to get funding when no one knows you, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- If nobody knows who you are,…getting funding obviously is difficult…because why would somebody pay somebody…that they don't even, have never heard of,…or has made anything.…Why would they give you money.…People are inspired by ideas, if you can show…somebody that you have a great idea,…and you know how to make a game.…Maybe not showing a final, finished game,…but showing people that you've written lots of game code…and you can show them pieces of a game.…
That may be enough to get what we call…an angel investor interested,…an angel is just an individual…who has a lot of money who's interested in spending…that money on creative endeavors…that may be profitable.…Or they're just tech investors.…Some people are angels that will just target…the newest thing that even VC's are worried…about getting into.…Games are one of those, a lot of people out there know,…games are a hit driven business, can you make it, you know.…
Yet people keep on making thousands of games…because you never know if your game's going to hit it.…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.