As businesses mature, they need to do some type of SWP in order to be able to continue to serve their customers effectively. Wayne Cascio describes four potential payoffs from effective SWP, emphasizing that it does not reach its full potential until it is repeated over three to five years. When it does, it does not produce just HR data; it also delivers business intelligence. In short, SWP is a key input to business strategy.
- Suppose that three years ago,…you started an internet based company…and your new company was born global.…In the sense that almost immediately,…you began receiving orders from around the globe.…To fill those orders, you had to open fulfillment centers,…and hire people to operate them all over the world.…To do that, you needed engineers,…managers and people to staff the centers.…You needed legal, marketing,…and operations management expertise,…and of course, you needed HR to deal with all of this.…
Does this sound far fetched?…Think again, on the first day that Amazon.com went global,…it received orders from dozens of countries.…It was a happy, but unexpected response…and Amazon had to quickly begin…doing Strategic Workforce Planning…in order to serve clients effectively.…Now, you may not be Amazon,…you may not have been born global.…But in one form or another, every company…has to deal with SWP issues like these.…
Let me show you four ways Strategic Workforce Planning…delivers value to your organization.…One of the first questions facing every business is,…
Wayne reviews what SWP is and how it delivers value to companies large and small. He steps through how to build a talent inventory, forecast the internal and external supply of labor, and approach succession planning. Plus, he explains how to tackle global talent management effectively.
- What is strategic workforce planning (SWP)?
- How does SWP deliver value?
- Building a talent inventory
- Forecasting the internal and external workforce supply
- Succession planning
- Evaluating the usefulness of SWP systems
- Who owns talent development?