Learn five critical needs assessment questions to ask prior to designing program. Ellen Ensher outlines this questions and how they apply to your companies purpose, goals, mission, and provide tips on alignment, integration, and finding a program champion.
- Congratulations for tuning into this video…as I know it is extremely tempting…to just jump in and start designing…your mentoring program.…Often we are under a lot of pressure…to just get it done.…However, if you skip the needs assessment step…and go right into mentoring program design,…it's like building a house with no foundation.…Let's dig in and cover five questions…you need to ask as a framework for your mentoring program.…The first question is: what is the best way…to gather data to understand what is happening?…You need to perform a needs assessment…and dig into why you need a mentoring program.…
An excellent book that you can review…for the specifics of needs assessment…is Active Training by Mel Silberman and Elaine Biech.…In this book, you will find an excellent overview…of nine needs assessment techniques.…These nine techniques are: observation, questionnaires,…key consultation, print media, interviews,…group discussion, tests, and records/reports.…I always recommend using at least two…different needs assessment methods,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- The benefits of formal mentoring programs
- The types and purpose of mentoring programs
- Designing a framework and a needs assessment
- Creating a mentoring culture
- Ensuring organizational support
- Choosing participants
- Training essentials for mentors
- Concluding and celebrating your program
- Evaluating your program
- Making your mentoring program last