As your career progresses, there are more demands on your time, so it becomes harder to be available to others. In this video, the instructor shares strategies for maintaining an open attitude, even when you're busy.
- As your career progresses,…there are more demands on your time,…more meeting requests, more emails, more opportunities.…So it becomes harder to be available to others.…That's a big challenge when it comes to approachability.…How can you stay open and approachable…even when you are so busy?…One way to do it is to create ways to interact at scale.…You can't keep doing one-on-one coffees all the time.…If you're leading a department of 50 people,…that would be your entire week.…Instead, think about group gatherings…where people have the opportunity…to engage and ask you questions.…
For instance, you could have…Team Ask Me Anything meetings once a week or once a month…so that anyone who has a question…or wants to discuss something has a venue to do so.…Another possible solution is having open office hours.…In the past you might have just been around…and been available.…People would grab you whenever and it was no big deal,…because only a small number were seeking you out.…But that's no longer the case.…And if you're walking the hallways,…
- Define unapproachable.
- Identify why others might perceive someone as unapproachable.
- List physical signs of approachability.
- Cultivate a mindset of approachability.
- Identify strategies to make yourself more easily approachable.
- Explain how to be approachable throughout your career.