Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Holding people accountable, part of Building Accountability Into Your Culture.
- Leaders need to hold their people accountable for their performance. Performance and results should be measured regularly, and people are given feedback on that performance. They need to know where they stand. There should be no surprises at the end of the year that they've fallen short. When people fail to deliver, consequences need to be imposed. Things like feedback, performance improvement plans, even reallocation of somebody's responsibilities need to occur to get performance where it needs to be.
Allow me to offer an example. I work with an executive who had a member of his team who was underperforming. The accountabilities were very clear. This individual knew what they were supposed to deliver, and they simply weren't. This executive started by sitting down with the individual and clarifying accountabilities. That was the first step in holding him accountable, and making sure the individual knew the expectations, and he spelled out the consequences of failing. Next, when performance didn't improve, even after that first step, coaching was given and feedback was given around those misaccountabilities.
The individual still didn't improve. Ultimately, his bonus was withheld, and he was put on a performance improvement plan. The consequences were clear, and that leader held that individual accountable. So you as a leader need to sit down and review your team's performance. Then communicate status. Again, your people should not be surprised if they're falling short. Give them the opportunity to succeed. That's what you're accountable for as a leader.
Ultimately, you're accountable for getting that team back on track if they're not living up to your expectations.
- Define accountability.
- Compare and contrast accountability and responsibility.
- Identify ways a leader can model accountability.
- Explain how to define accountability for a team.
- List examples of consequences for failing to deliver.
- Describe how to strengthen a brand by establishing and reinforcing a culture of accountability.