Join Whitney Johnson for an in-depth discussion in this video Hiring the right people, part of Entrepreneurship Foundations (2014).
- Your business is growing.…You can no longer do everything by yourself.…It's time to hire your first employee.…You know it's a critical decision.…How do you get this right?…The first suggestion is to identify…what you really need the hire to do.…This is surprisingly difficult…because there's often a gap between…what we think we need and what we actually need.…Further, according to recent research,…we tend to hire people similar to us.…This helps with communication,…but there also needs to be enough difference…so skill sets are complimentary, not redundant.…
In order to piece together a high-performing team,…there are a number of diagnostics available…such as Teamability and Plumb.…Just as the Myers-Briggs test helps you…identify your personality type,…these diagnostics help you determine…your team type or what kind of team player you are.…The second is: "Try before you buy."…Some people interview extremely well, others don't,…which is one of the reasons that hiring is so tricky.…
It's like running for President of the United States.…
- Cite the steps that can help you find an unmet need.
- Differentiate between a business and a hobby.
- Recognize how to decide between an online business and a brick and mortar business.
- Describe how to protect your intellectual property.
- Explain the best practices for hiring the right people.
- Recall the importance of tapping into networks of expertise.
- Cite the best practices for building a business website.
- Summarize the best metrics to use for your online business.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Finding Your Big Idea
2. Starting Your Business
3. Building a Team
4. Marketing Your Business
5. Scaling Your Business
6. Funding Growth
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.