Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Handling payroll and HR at a game company, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- With a company, there's a lot of stuff…that you have to deal with…that's not just game development.…It's human resources.…There's payroll.…There's insurance.…There's worker's comp some compensation claims.…There's unemployment.…There's all kinds of things that you don't want to deal with…as a game developer.…It's good for you to hire somebody…that can handle that if you can do it.…At the very beginning when you're really, really small…you probably are not hiring…an office manager type person to handle these things.…
So there's a few different ways to go about it.…If you want to do this the more hands-on way,…then you would hire a company…that would basically do your taxes for you.…It's really important that every month,…your check register basically goes to your account…in your business account and they make sure…that all of the money that's flowing in and flowing out…is put in the proper columns for taxes.…
So when it comes to tax time,…they have all the information already there…and it's very easy to do the corporate taxes…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.