Consulting project success is as much about building client buy-in as it is about the quality of the recommendation. Clients won't always agree with the path you're on. Sometimes client team members will resist the project even though their senior management is fully behind it—especially when cost cutting is involved. You'll need to actively build buy in and manage conflict throughout the project if you want your recommendations approved and implemented.
- Consulting project success…is as much about building client buy-in…as it is about the quality of your recommendation.…Clients won't always agree with the path you're on.…Client team members may resist the project…even though their senior management…is fully committed to it.…This happens a lot,…especially when cost cutting is involved.…When I worked for a major consulting firm,…we were doing a cost takeout project.…We were going to reduce the workforce by about a third.…
How excited do you think the client personnel were…to be assigned to our team…that was going to lay off their colleagues?…There was a lot of conflict that we had to manage.…You'll need to actively build buy-in…and manage conflict throughout the project…if you want your recommendations approved and implemented.…Here are a few thoughts on how to handle a conflict…and build buy-in.…Get senior management to communicate…the rationale for the project and their support of it.…
Identify the sources of conflict.…It may be fear of job loss, loss of influence,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify types of consulting business models.
- Describe revenue models.
- Explain how to estimate and manage costs.
- Price services using pricing strategies.
- Explain how to negotiate deals with clients.
- List effects of responding to RFPs.
- Identify the phases of constructing a consulting engagement.
- Present findings and implement recommendations.
- Describe different ways to manage legal issues.
Skill Level Beginner
1. Define Your Consulting Business
2. Marketing and Selling
3. Contract and Protect Yourself
4. Run the Consulting Engagement
5. Handle Administration
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.