Join Eddie Davila for an in-depth discussion in this video Goals of waiting lines, part of Operations Management Foundations.
- Waiting lines, we may hate them,…but they're a sure sign of a civilized society.…Believe it or not,…as an honorable and considerate human being,…you're hardwired to respect the waiting line.…Don't believe me?…Well, let's think about a simple waiting line situation.…Let's say you're in line at Starbucks,…waiting to get a coffee.…No, no, instead,…let's say you already have your coffee.…You're not even in the waiting line.…You're sitting down, people-watching.…
You're simply observing the waiting line.…All of a sudden,…you see someone cut the waiting line.…They simply jump in front…of someone already in the line.…How does this make you feel?…Shocked?…Angry?…Violent?…You aren't even in the waiting line…and now, you're on a revenge mission…at the local Starbucks.…That visceral reaction you're having…tells us something, doesn't it?…It tells us that we respect the waiting line.…We respect what it stands for.…The waiting line is a symbol…of our belief in equality.…
I mean, who the heck does that person think they are…cutting that line?…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding operations management
- Making key inventory decisions
- Balancing holding costs and ordering costs
- Choosing a production strategy and facility layout
- Managing waiting-line systems
- Defining quality and improving quality
- Managing business processes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Operations
2. Managing Inventory
3. Managing Production of Products and Services
4. Managing Waiting Lines
5. Managing Quality
6. Operations at the Office
Wrap up2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.