Join Anil Gupta for an in-depth discussion in this video Globalizing the young venture, part of Global Strategy.
- Facebook, Twitter, Skype, these companies…went global very early in their lives.…Some, like Skype, were even born global.…Clearly barriers to early globalization have come way down.…The internet has gone global.…Shipping costs continue to decline,…global trading and payment platforms…such as eBay, Alibaba, PayPal…facilitate cross-border transactions…and English continues its rise…as the world's language.…
Yet early globalization is not always…a bed of roses.…It adds complexity and uncertainty precisely…when the venture needs to stay focused…on succeeding in the home market.…Young ventures also suffer from resource scarcity.…Even if a young company is able to raise…sizable venture capital, it will almost…certainly be thin on organizational capabilities.…
These must be built from the ground up…and are impossible to purchase,…thus a venture which globalizes too early…could end up jeopardizing its very survival.…Given these opposing pulls and constraints,…how should the leaders of a young venture…decide whether to globalize early or not?…
This course is aimed at helping managers learn how to maximize the benefits while minimizing the costs and risks associated with global expansion. Anil K. Gupta, Michael Dingman Chair in Strategy and Globalization at The University of Maryland's Smith School, and one of the world's leading experts on global strategy, outlines the logic of global strategy and the questions you need to address in order to globalize your company's market presence and leverage global resources.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why go global?
- Prioritizing across the world's markets
- Designing entry strategies
- Frugal innovation
- Leveraging global resources
- Cultivating a global mindset