Join Jonah Berger for an in-depth discussion in this video Getting people to care with emotion, part of Jonah Berger on Viral Marketing.
…I'm an avid cyclist, and a few years ago, I was biking through the suburbs of…Philadelphia when I saw a really cute dog…running around in circles around in the parking lot.…I love dogs, I always have, and this dog looked super cute.…But when I was biking by, I noticed that there were no cars in the parking lot.…So I said, someone must of lost their dog.…So put the brakes on my bike and I walk over, had my cell…phone with me, I thought I would just take a look at the dog's tag,…figure out the owner's phone number, give it…a call, and someone would come pick it up.…
But as I walked over to the dog, I noticed something a little bit scary.…There was no collar on the dog, and as I looked…closer it had sores all over its body and was somewhat emaciated.…Someone had left the dog in the park to die, to fend for itself.…Now it was a really happy dog.…It jumped up on me, very happy loving loving pet, but it needed a home.…Now, I at the time…couldn't have a dog, so I called up my local animal shelter, and…I said, hey, I've got this dog here, can you come pick it up?…
- Summarize the advantages of word-of-mouth advertising.
- Identify the six STEPPS to getting people to share.
- Explain the effects of a trigger.
- Describe the function of social proof.
- Recall the most effective strategies for spreading a marketing message.
- Recognize two components in a story meant to help spread a business message.