Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Getting funding from a publisher, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- When you're going to meet up with a publisher…to get funding,…it is really important for you…to layout everything about your game…and all of its potential revenue.…The revenue opportunities that your game has.…Publishers are really...…Like they know how much money they can get off your game…just by selling units.…That's kind of been there done that for a really long time…so you don't need to talk about per unit profit…and all that kinda stuff.…
They already know that cuz that's what they do.…But with monetization,…your monetization model is critically important…to companies, to publishers.…You may be doing something in a game…that they've never seen before…that provides some huge monetization opportunities…or maybe they see something you don't…in your monetization opportunity.…But giving them all of the controls in your game…that you have to monetization on is really important…If you have a game that has mounts in it…and they see this really amazing opportunity…for selling mounts in your game…and mix and collect or whatever you're going to do,…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.