Problems like risk shift and group think are dangerous to teams. So are weak leaders. Learn how to get ahead of problems before they hurt teamwork.
- Now, research into teams has identified…two related problems called risky shift and groupthink.…Risky shift is the tendency for teams to choose more…risky plans than individuals would have chosen.…Groupthink is where teams start to all think alike…and nobody questions the plan until afterwards.…Let's have a quick look at why these happen…and whether they matter and what can be done…if they do.…First, risky shift. I think it's fairly obvious why a…team would tend to make more risky decisions.…
Since nobody has individual accountability…if the risk doesn't pan out.…Also, the more cautious ones will probably be…quieter and therefore have less of a say.…Does it matter? Well, yes!…Taking undue risks can have really bad consequences…so we must make sure that decisions are made properly…and not by a gung ho group.…Always make sure that someone's name is on every decision.…Then there's groupthink.…Where the team all starts to think the same way.…
Ask yourself, in your company or organization,…do you have a way of thinking that people maybe…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Getting the job done
- Dividing up the work
- Cultivating communication
- Handling conflict
- Delivering reliably
- Playing more than one role
- Using your strengths and dealing with your weaknesses
Skill Level Beginner
Project Management Foundations: Teamswith Bob McGannon1h 29m Appropriate for all
1. The Importance of Teams
2. What Makes a Great Team?
3. Your Responsibility to Other Team Members
4. Becoming a Better Team Member
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.