Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Get an overview of the material, part of Speed Reading Fundamentals.
- View Offline
- In the last lesson, we discussed…the preview reading technique,…which usually involves reading the introduction…and conclusion to the material.…In this video, we'll discuss…the second step called an overview.…After you finish reading the introduction…and conclusion during the preview step,…you'll want to dig a little deeper.…So during the overview step,…here's what you're going to do.…You'll read all the headings,…subheadings, and bold-faced words.…If your material isn't structured this way, you could…alternatively read the first sentence of each paragraph,…since each first sentence is usually a main idea.…
As you're going through the material,…you may come across graphs or diagrams.…If this is the case, just read the titles of the diagrams.…You don't need to fully analyze them just yet.…The goal during the overview is to find…the most important concepts that will be discussed…in the material that you're reading.…This part of the reading process shouldn't take that long.…In some pieces of the material,…this may take you less than one minute.…
The course then focuses on improving comprehension by understanding how memory works, practicing the "read and recall" method, and breaking down technical terms. The final chapter introduces some advanced tips and strategies for reading different types of media: news and magazine articles, textbooks, technical material, and ebooks.
- Measuring your reading speed
- Reading faster on the computer
- Reading groups of words
- Previewing and overviewing
- Improving comprehension and retention
- Understanding the 80/20 principle of reading
- Reading magazines, textbooks, diagrams, and ebooks