Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Generating a vision and mission, part of Strategic Planning Foundations.
- While generating a vision and a mission statement…might seem like an intimidating exercise,…there's a pretty simple way to do it.…First, get the right people in the room.…Bring in the head of the organization,…people from multiple functions,…and look to involve people from…multiple levels of the organization.…Essentially what you're going to create…is a brainstorming session.…Carve out two or three hours to do each…of the vision and mission statements.…
Next, pass out to everyone what exists today.…Let them see the current vision, the current mission,…have them identify things that they really like about it,…and things that they don't.…Pass out the SWOT analysis and Porter's five forces…to understand what the risks…and opportunities are in the marketplace,…and then it gets fun.…Pick a scribe, preferably somebody's who's…been a scribe before for brainstorming sessions,…and ask people to throw out phrases that describe…a vision and a mission for the organization.…
The scribe shouldn't judge anything,…write down everything everybody in the room says,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Avoiding strategic planning risks
- Assessing the market
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Defining your direction, mission, and vision
- Determining core competencies
- Evaluating and prioritizing opportunities
- Assessing your initiatives
- Organizing for success
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Before You Begin Planning
2. Defining the Strategic Environment
3. Setting Your Strategic Direction
4. Determining How You'll Compete
5. Evaluating and Prioritizing Opportunities
6. Assessing Your Initiative Portfolio
Using a 2x2 matrix2m 56s
7. Organizing for Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.