Join Dave Crenshaw for an in-depth discussion in this video Gathering to your inbox: Desk, part of Time Management Fundamentals.
- The more gathering points you have…the more switches will take place in your day…making you much less productive.…In this video I'm going to show you…how to reduce the number of physical gathering points…in your office.…Before you begin, make sure you're in your office…or your workspace.…We're going to take all the gathering points…that are physical and in your office…and put them into one giant inbox.…At this point you should have a series of empty boxes,…about six to eight to be safe,…including one special box set side -…the temporary one-week box.…
For this gathering session only this one-week box…is where you put any unprocessed item…you need to deal with or access during the next week.…Let's begin.…We're going to take everything that's in here…that's unprocessed…and we're going to put in the gigantic inbox.…Let's start with the obvious stuff you have on your desk.…Sticky notes are good for one thing and one thing only -…making notes for someone else.…
You're going to start using your calendar for the reminding,…
Learn how to get more done in the shortest time possible and avoid the obstacles and distractions that can get in the way of good time management. Dave gives practical strategies for increasing productivity in three main areas: developing habits to be more organized and reducing clutter in your workspace; staying mentally on task and eliminate the to-dos you have floating in your head; and developing a time budget to get the most done during your workday and focus on your most valuable activities.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Finding your productivity style and motivation
- Understanding the principles of time management
- Avoiding the pitfalls of multitasking
- Narrowing your gathering points
- Consolidating email and voicemail accounts
- Practicing mind-clearing techniques
- Choosing and using calendar software
- Saying no with tact
- Mastering the what, when, where processing system
- Processing email vs. checking email
- Maintaining productivity gains
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Laying the Productivity Groundwork
2. Obstacle to Productivity
3. Productivity Principle 1: Space
4. Productivity Principle 2: Mind
5. Productivity Principle 3: Time
6. Equipping Yourself for Action
Preparing for action4m 30s
7. Gathering to the Inbox
Preparing to gather2m 46s
8. Understanding Processing
9. Processing Email
10. Your Time Budgeter
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.