Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Focusing on ideas instead of sentences, part of Note-Taking for Business Professionals.
- In this video, we're going to discuss…how you can learn to take notes faster…and more efficiently.…The first thing you need to understand…is that you should keep your notes concise.…You want to be writing ideas not sentences.…This is a simple way to speed up your note-taking,…but it's surprising how many people ignore this advice…and try to write complete sentences…while they're taking notes.…If you do this, you may end up missing major points…that are being stated…because you're trying to write out…what was previously said.…So keep your notes to keywords and phrases.…You can write now and edit later.…
Another important strategy is to…only write down what's absolutely necessary.…Not everything is equally important.…Many times there are two, three,…or four major points being made.…Don't get bogged down with the detail.…If you're paying attention, you'll remember the details…because the bigger concepts will trigger that information.…If you want to add some of your own detail…under a major point,…but don't have time to at the moment,…
Author Paul Nowak also explores techniques for taking notes more quickly, including capturing ideas rather than sentences, improving typing speed, and using simple shorthand. The course also offers a number of note-taking templates to help prepare for project planning, SWOT meetings, timelines, business travel, and more.
- Exploring the keys to active listening
- Focusing on the ideas
- Capturing an action plan
- Taking notes while reading
- Creating to-do lists, project plans, and meeting notes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Effective Note-Taking Strategies
2. Taking Note of What You Read
3. Note-Taking Templates
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.