Join Jonah Berger for an in-depth discussion in this video Focusing on high-arousal feelings, part of Jonah Berger on Viral Marketing.
…As we talked about previously, emotion drives people to share.…But do all emotions drive people to share equally?…When we think about emotions we tend to think…about two main types, positive emotions and negative emotions.…Positive might be things like happiness, excitement and humor.…Negative emotions might be things like anger, anxiety or sadness.…And you might say, well, positive emotions drive…people to share, but maybe negative ones don't.…When we feel positive,…for example, we got a big promotion or we won a new contract or…our team won, we're really excited, and we share that positive emotion with others.…
But maybe we don't share negative things like when our…kid does badly in school, or when we get fired.…When we actually looked at the data, though,…we found that people often share negative emotions.…For example, angry news articles are one of the most shared things online.…We often see our angry political rants get passed along, but also…we see positive things as well.…Most of YouTube for example is humor, so what's the deal?…
- Summarize the advantages of word-of-mouth advertising.
- Identify the six STEPPS to getting people to share.
- Explain the effects of a trigger.
- Describe the function of social proof.
- Recall the most effective strategies for spreading a marketing message.
- Recognize two components in a story meant to help spread a business message.