Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Focusing efforts based on competencies, part of Strategic Planning Foundations.
- Once you've identified your core competencies,…you should then look at the initiatives that you're thinking…about pursuing to determine what your approach should be.…This can mean markets you're thinking about entering.…Products or services you're thinking about launching,…or new capabilities you're thinking about building.…Let's look at an example.…Let's imagine Starbucks was conducting this exercise…and as we define their core competencies,…their primary core competency is the quality…of their product from low to high in terms of the relevance…of that competency in whatever initiative…they're thinking about pursuing.…
The second competency that we looked at…was their service delivery capability.…Again, that competency being low to high…in terms of it's relevance for pursuing an opportunity.…Let's evaluate some opportunities.…Let's say they were considering…launching a new holiday coffee drink.…Well, as we look at the access of product quality,…this would be their product that they're launching,…so it would be very high…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Avoiding strategic planning risks
- Assessing the market
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Defining your direction, mission, and vision
- Determining core competencies
- Evaluating and prioritizing opportunities
- Assessing your initiatives
- Organizing for success
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Before You Begin Planning
2. Defining the Strategic Environment
3. Setting Your Strategic Direction
4. Determining How You'll Compete
5. Evaluating and Prioritizing Opportunities
6. Assessing Your Initiative Portfolio
Using a 2x2 matrix2m 56s
7. Organizing for Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.