Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Focusing on development, part of Performance Review Foundations.
…If it were up to me, I'd change the name of…the yearly evaluation or yearly appraisal to the yearly performance discussion.…The term performance discussion doesn't imply something positive or negative.…It just states a topic.…Performance.…In contrast, the words evaluation and…appraisal, suggest a very critical conversation.…That's too bad, because though there are exceptions,…the evaluation should definitely be more positive and…helpful, than negative and critical.…Just remember that your overall focus is on helping and encouraging people.…
More than merely judging them.…I'm not suggesting you sugar coat anything.…I'm simply reminding you to be aware…of the balance between these two competing needs.…When I think about a focus on development, I think about two major things, changes…to their job that help them or the team and various types of tools and…resources that might support their continued development.…In terms of job changes, first think about how to size ongoing goals.…For example, if they're an account representative…
- Describe why performance reviews are important.
- Explain why a manager might use informal feedback.
- Recognize when it’s important to have a witness present during an evaluation.
- Cite the benefits of performance improvement plans.
- Identify the primary goal of managing performance throughout the year.
- Describe when it’s time to discuss possible role changes for an employee.
- Explain the 360 review process.
- Cite ways to set expectations for a performance review meeting.
Skill Level Intermediate
Managing Employee Performance Problems (2013)with Todd Dewett1h 53m Intermediate
1. Overview of Performance Management
2. Setting Goals with Employees
3. Gathering Feedback on Performance
4. Writing the Review
5. Delivering the Review
6. Taking Next Steps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.