Join Eddie Davila for an in-depth discussion in this video Focused factories, part of Operations Management Foundations.
- In operations management a facility that produces…only one kind of a very specialized product or service…is called a focused factory.…Let's consider the Shouldice Centre in Ontario, Canada.…It's a very special type of medical facility.…They perform only one service,…external abdominal hernia operations.…So what's so special about this hernia facility?…Let's first consider what hernia surgery is.…A hernia is a cavity in your abdominal lining.…
A hole.…Like a hole in a couch, the stuffing starts coming out.…Like a couch, a surgeon would find the hole,…sew up the hole, put a mesh patch on you…as a reinforcement, and then let you heal.…In the US that procedure has a 10% defect rate.…Can you imagine if Apple had a 10% defect rate…on their digital devices.…How about the Shouldice Centre?…The Shouldice Centre does only hernia surgeries.…
They do them much faster and they don't use the mesh patch.…Why?…Because it's an added expense…that can also introduce infection.…Their defect rates are 1%.…But there is more.…Their surgeons are not actually surgeons.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding operations management
- Making key inventory decisions
- Balancing holding costs and ordering costs
- Choosing a production strategy and facility layout
- Managing waiting-line systems
- Defining quality and improving quality
- Managing business processes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Operations
2. Managing Inventory
3. Managing Production of Products and Services
4. Managing Waiting Lines
5. Managing Quality
6. Operations at the Office
Wrap up2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.