Learn the five key skills every manager must master to successfully manage their team. These key management skills help inform your management development training program.
- I was a manager long before I became a consultant.…I guess you could say I know firsthand…what skills every manager needs…to successfully manage their team.…That's because when I first started out as a leader,…I wasn't particularly successful at managing others.…There are probably a dozen or so must-have skills…every manager needs to have.…In the interest of time, we're going to focus on five.…Let's start with managing up.…After all, if you don't manage your relationships…with your boss and those above you,…you won't have to worry about managing down.…
If the truth be known, that's the area that was my demise…back when I was a first time leader.…In retrospect, my fall from the top…could have been completely avoided…had I been taught how to manage my boss.…Learning how to push back when necessary…and pull back when it's clear…that you're about to cross the line…is an important skill for all managers.…Decoding your boss's management style…is also an area that managers need to master…as nowadays it feels like new bosses…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes a manager effective?
- What managers seek from their employers
- Coaching versus mentoring
- Determining whether to use internal or external resources
- Helping managers take control of their learning
- Creating a management training strategy
- Measuring the effectiveness of your program
- Avoiding common management development mistakes