There are a lot of good jobs out there. But how do you focus on the jobs that meet your job hunting objective—and avoid falling into the "anything will do" trap? See how keywords, social media, and networking help you hone in on the roles you actually want.
- Finding a job is rarely the problem…people come to me with which is a strong sign…that we all know how and where to search.…It's never been easier to connect to opportunities…than doing a LinkedIn or Google search,…checking industry job boards and networking…with colleagues past and present.…The main goal as you search for jobs…is to go back to your job-hunting objective.…Which jobs meet your criteria?…If you're finding yourself sending out 20 resumes a day,…you're probably trending toward anything will do territory.…
So be selective, search for keywords…that tie to your skills.…Search by locations you'd be willing to live and work in.…Don't do a job search in New York…if you don't actually want to live there.…Scan the websites of your dream companies…every few months also, who's hiring…and where in their business?…Make sure you don't miss an ideal role…just because you saw a posting too late.…You can even set alerts for job words tied…to companies or industries.…And I can't emphasize this enough,…when you're being targeted in your job search,…
Looking for study partners?Join the Interview Tips study group
Ready to find your next job? Learn how to prepare yourself for today's job market and land a gig that you'll love. Jolie Miller shows how to create a great job hunting plan that connects you with opportunities that mesh with your interests and goals. Jolie explains how to present yourself to employers in the best light with a well-designed LinkedIn profile, resume, and cover letter. She explores how to tailor your experience for each job and for any special situations, such as layoffs, reentering the workforce, or switching roles or industries. Plus, she shares quick tips that can help you make a great first—and lasting—impression in your interviews, negotiate an offer you're proud of, and prepare for your first day at your new job.
- Setting job hunting objectives
- Writing a compelling resume and cover letter
- Tailoring your approach
- Finding the right jobs
- Reentering the workforce
- Identifying which of your skills are transferable
- Excelling in a phone or video interview
- Negotiating a job offer