If you're already employed, you can research your current employer to see if they offer flexible work options. Here's how to find out if your company is flex-friendly.
- Do you like Sherlock Holmes?…I ask because you may need to be a bit of a detective…to figure out if your employer is flex-friendly.…Some companies have policies regarding flexible work.…They may tell employees…how to request a flexible work situation,…how someone can work flexibly,…or what types of flexible work are acceptable.…But, in other companies,…you have to dig to find the information.…80% of companies offer flexible work options,…but 64% have absolutely no formal…or written policy in place.…
44% don't even talk about flexible work,…even if they do offer it.…And 67% of individual managers get to decide…whether their employees can work flexibly.…That's why you may feel a little in the dark…when it comes to your company's flexible work policy.…So, let's put our deerstalker caps,…you know, the kind of hat that Sherlock Holmes wears,…and learn some of the best methods…for figuring out if your company is flex-friendly.…First, do some observation.…
Do you know anyone at the company who works flexibly?…Maybe they work from home some of the time,…
- Recognize how common flexible jobs are in the economy.
- Identify what area is leading the economy in flexible jobs.
- Recall what you should do before talking with your manager about flexible work opportunities.
- Explain the problem with using the key phrase “work from home” when searching for jobs online.
- Identify when during the interview process you should explore the possibility of flexible work.