Every company has certain traits or skills or experiences they value in their employees. In this video tutorial, Dorie helps you learn how to unearth those implicit values and take action to leverage your strengths accordingly. She explains how to understand power centers, observe what gets rewarded, and leverage your strengths.
- To become successful in a given corporate culture,…it's essential to understand what that culture values.…Here's how you can gain insight into this unstated…but essential fact of life.…Take a look at your company's leaders.…Do they share common elements in their rise to the top?…In most organizations,…you'll find that certain departments…or certain field offices are disproportionately good…at placing alumni in influential positions.…They're the star factories.…Understanding where power truly lies is essential…so you can if you can choose get closer to its center.…
As Jeffrey Pfeffer points out in his excellent book,…Power: Why Some People Have It and Others Don't,…you can outsmart the competition…by finding hidden power centers.…While everyone else is competing…for the obviously prestigious post,…if you can find a position that gives you unusual access…to people across the company…or a chance to gain valuable experience…let's say in the finance office,…that may also be a wise career move.…It also pays to look around…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Building social proof and goodwill
- Exhibiting authenticity
- Defining your workplace goals
- Identifying key decision makers
- Strengthening relationships
- Identifying company values
- Connecting your colleagues