Never ask, "Is that your final offer?" If you do, then you force them to say, "Yes," making them dig in, which is bad for you. You must also never say, "And that's my final offer." If it's untrue, you might have to move beyond it and lose all credibility. If it's true, then next time they'll push you and push you till you say it. So never ask it, and never say it—and never believe it if they say it!
- [Chris] I just wanted to say a little bit about…final offers, as with many of these tactics,…there are two parts to it.…Should you say, and that's my final offer,…and what if they say, and that's my final offer?…And there's an additional angle, which is,…what about asking the question, is that your final offer?…Should you ever ask that, and what if they…ask you that question?…So you've got statements and questions…and you've got you saying it and you've got them saying it.…We need to look at all four of the combinations.…
So to start with, there are the two things…that you might say, and the first one is,…and that's my final offer.…And the second one is, is that your final offer?…I'll come back later to what to say…if they make either of these statements,…but first, let's just think about you…saying either of these.…Is it okay to say, and that's my final offer?…No, definitely not, never say it.…And that's because if you say it and it's not true,…what happens when you then have to move further…from that point?…
- Why we avoid negotiating
- When you should think about negotiating
- Planning your negotiation
- Calculating your opening offer
- Leveraging different negotiation tactics
- How to trade
- Determining if you should walk away
Skill Level Beginner
Negotiating Your Leadership Successwith Elizabeth Robillard1h 20m Intermediate
1. Decide to Negotiate
2. Planning Your Negotiation
3. Opening Offers
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.