Join Dave Crenshaw for an in-depth discussion in this video Filing made simple, part of Time Management Fundamentals.
- Let's explore how to simplify…and speed up the process of basic paper filing.…First, when filing non-financial documents…use a simple alphabetical system.…Set up hanging file folders…and label each file folder alphabetically.…You can usually purchase hanging file folders…in groups of 25.…One short of the full alphabet.…So if you find yourself a folder short…combine the letters X and Y…which brings you to a total of 25 file hanging folders.…
Whenever you have some new document…that you need to file…pull out a manila folder…write on the manila folder…what you're going to put in there…and then put that piece of paper in the folder.…Use a manila folder rather than…putting items directly into the hanging file folder.…This will make it easier to…retrieve the items in the future.…So let's take an example with this piece of paper.…This is a poem that I really enjoy.…This is an inspirational quote.…I might want to copy this…and share it in a meeting…or just refer back to it.…
Where do I file this piece of paper?…Well, I simply file it under…
Learn how to get more done in the shortest time possible and avoid the obstacles and distractions that can get in the way of good time management. Dave gives practical strategies for increasing productivity in three main areas: developing habits to be more organized and reducing clutter in your workspace; staying mentally on task and eliminate the to-dos you have floating in your head; and developing a time budget to get the most done during your workday and focus on your most valuable activities.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Finding your productivity style and motivation
- Understanding the principles of time management
- Avoiding the pitfalls of multitasking
- Narrowing your gathering points
- Consolidating email and voicemail accounts
- Practicing mind-clearing techniques
- Choosing and using calendar software
- Saying no with tact
- Mastering the what, when, where processing system
- Processing email vs. checking email
- Maintaining productivity gains
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Laying the Productivity Groundwork
2. Obstacle to Productivity
3. Productivity Principle 1: Space
4. Productivity Principle 2: Mind
5. Productivity Principle 3: Time
6. Equipping Yourself for Action
Preparing for action4m 30s
7. Gathering to the Inbox
Preparing to gather2m 46s
8. Understanding Processing
9. Processing Email
10. Your Time Budgeter
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.