Join Dana Robinson for an in-depth discussion in this video Filing a copyright, part of Understanding Copyright: A Deeper Dive.
- I'm going to walk you through the filing…of an actual copyright application.…Let's get started.…I'm going to start by typing copyright.gov.…And once I'm here I'm going to choose the box…that says Register a Copyright.…Now there's a couple ways to file…and we're going to do the ECO.…We're actually going to try filing an online form.…To do this we actually need to log in.…If you don't have a log in then you can create one.…You see right under the log in there's a button that says…If you are a new user click here to register.…
You can click there to register.…All you have to do is put in your personal information…and generate a username and…password that you'll use to log in.…I have one so let's log into my account.…Now there's a variety of options that…you get once you're here.…What we do is fairly obvious,…we're going to register a new claim.…Now it's going to ask us a series of questions…so let's walk through these together so if you…have any questions I can take care of it.…These are yes or no questions.…Are you registering one work?…
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LInkedIn nor the attorney teaching the course represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate basic information to help viewers understand the basics of intellectual property.
- Explain why you should file for copyright certification.
- Determine what course of action will guarantee the end of infringement?
- Relate copyright to the purchase of software.
- Define public domain.
- List what you need to send the Copyright Office for copyright certification.