Could have jobs to do lists sorted by person, so that when you see them it's all there, or by place, so when you go to the Cincinnati office it's all there. Known as 'context' on some apps. If using an app, or a spreadsheet, this would be an extra field that you can sort on. But works for paper too.
- There's one other approach to filing…that I think is really interesting,…and it's been adapted to digital form…by apps like OmniFocus,…but you can also do it using paper if you prefer,…and that's filing by context.…For example, if you have several offices…or several sites in your company,…you might want to file papers by location,…so that when you go to your Miami office,…you've got everything you need.…Anything you need to check or follow up or discuss…with the people there needs to be filed…so you can just click Miami on your phone…or open the Miami part of your file,…and there is everything listed.…
Within Miami it might be in date order or just random,…but the key thing is that when you're there,…you can just open that part of your system…and be reminded of all the stuff you need to do…while you're there.…My two locations are when I'm at home…and when I'm traveling, and this is my number one…filing question when I add a job to my list,…the first thing I think is,…shall I do it when I'm traveling,…or do I have to be at home in order to do it?…
The most efficient people use technology and established systems of organization to manage their tasks and maximize their time. This course shows how to put these time management techniques to work for you.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Managing your inbox
- Managing repetitive tasks
- Using lists and calendars
- Maximizing spare time
- Organizing information digitally and on paper
- Getting the most out of technology and software
- Writing effective email
- Reducing filing