There are only two ways you can lose the deal; either you walk away or they throw you out. If you walk away, be prepared to come back if you have to. You can prevent them from walking away by always being nice, blaming your low opening offer on yourself, and reeling them back in if necessary. Once you realize that you can crumble, you can try anything, offer anything, and you have nothing to lose! If you get a bargain half of the time and have to "lose" the other half, that's a result.
- Most people would say that if you negotiate, there is…a risk you'll lose the deal, but actually, that's wrong.…There is no way that negotiating can cause you…to lose the deal if you do it right.…This is really important to understand because…once you realize that you have noting to lose,…you'll either get an improved deal, or just make…no progress and end up with the starting offer,…then why wouldn't you give negotiating a go?…So, let's analyze this idea of losing the deal.…
There are only two ways you can lose it…and neither is going to happen.…Either you walk away or they walk away.…If we look at the first one, losing it by you walking away,…the answer is don't walk away…unless you just pretend to walk away in the hope…that they'll come running after you,…or that they'll phone you the next day,…which does sometimes happen.…The key with walking away is to be prepared…to come back if you have to, which I call crumbling.…
If they don't come running after you,…or if they don't call you,…then you just have to swallow your pride…
- Why we avoid negotiating
- When you should think about negotiating
- Planning your negotiation
- Calculating your opening offer
- Leveraging different negotiation tactics
- How to trade
- Determining if you should walk away
Skill Level Beginner
Negotiating Your Leadership Successwith Elizabeth Robillard1h 20m Intermediate
1. Decide to Negotiate
2. Planning Your Negotiation
3. Opening Offers
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.