…When thinking about how to interact with your boss, about which topics…and how often, it's very smart to begin by considering your social capital.…Your social capital is your single biggest intangible career asset.…It represents how much latitude you have to say what you…want to and to do what you want to at work.…It's the amount of freedom you have to make decisions…no matter what others will think and with no real repercussions.…Think of social capital as chips in the game of poker.…Your stack is only so big and it's up to you to decide how much to bet and when.…
One thing you might spend your social capital on is…managing your boss, but there's one important fact to mention here.…It's easy to spend your social capital, but it can…take a long time to build up your account again.…Thus, your goal is to think twice and act once to ensure…you're making wise decisions about when and how to manage the boss.…Okay, now let's talk about building your social capital.…There are three main ways to increase the size of your account.…
- Explore how self-reflection is a starting point for understanding others.
- Review they ways that social capital (credibility) relate to performance, recognition, and helping others.
- Recall different kinds of communication channels you can establish with your manager.
- Identify the most effective ways to promote your accomplishments.
- Review methods for documenting issues that help you communicate up.
- Explore key strategies for working with a remote manager.
- Examine ways to repair a damaged relationship with your manager.