Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Explaining your decision-making style, part of New Manager Foundations (2013).
There are many approaches to decision-making.…I'm going to discuss the three most basic approaches.…While you're listening, I want you to think about which one best defines you.…Keep in mind, there is no perfect approach to decision-making;…there are always different possible approaches.…The three most basic forms of decision-making are:…Autocratic, Collaborative, and Democratic.…Autocratic decision-making is defined by you making a decision with no input…needed from the team, followed by telling the team your decision.…
Collaborative decision-making involves a partnership or a collaboration between…you and the members of the team.…You will ultimately make the decision, but first you wish to seek input from the team.…Finally, democratic decision-making involves you allowing the team to make the…decision irrespective of what you feel the decision should be.…Of course, over time all of us use a mix of these approaches.…However, research does suggest the best overall decision is to rely…significantly on the collaborative approach with much lighter use of both the…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Clarifying performance expectations
- Feeding your learning curve
- Building rapport with your team
- Explaining your decision-making style
- Increasing your authenticity
- Communicating proactively
- Knowing when to have a meeting and who should attend
- Coping successfully with your transition<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.