Unpack how self-development, hobbies, and a healthy lifestyle can help you climb the ladder.
- If someone asked you, what do you do for fun,…are you the person who answers, Ugh, I sleep?…If so, you could be costing yourself a promotion.…You know, burning the candle at both ends is a recipe…for more than just burn out.…It's a recipe for dull, uninspiring work.…You know, we like to think we have a personal life…and a work life, but the reality is you have one life.…Your life.…And if you want to be promotable, you need to develop yourself…as a holistic person.…
The skills you develop in one area bleed over…into the other.…So if you want to be promotable, here are three areas…outside of work that will help you.…Number one, self development.…You know, most jobs give you some type of training,…and some really good jobs will give you…ongoing development opportunities.…But if you want to be promoted, take it one step further…outside of work.…Read, or listen to books about business, leadership…in your industry.…
The more you broaden your self development lens,…the more likely you will be able to succeed in bigger roles…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- List three good reasons to step down from a position.
- Name three behaviors that will help you get promoted.
- Explain how to demonstrate active listening.
- Recall an effective way to demonstrate leadership and promotability when speaking with subordinates.
- Identify a common mistake many people make when communicating with their boss.
- Determine the best way to formally ask for a promotion.