In this video, human resources consultant and trainer Catherine Mattice explains how to create an exit interview checklist and conduct effective exit interviews as an HR professional. She also covers how to manage the process of terminating an employee and dealing with the aftermath once the employee has left the company.
- When employees leave your organization, it's never easy.…Whether they voluntarily resigned…or you had to let them go,…a lot of factors come into play…in terms of keeping things as smooth as possible…for the exiting employee…and for those left behind.…Step one, before anyone leaves,…is a to create an exit checklist.…There's a lot to do,…like forward their email and collect their ID badge.…Get all of that into a checklist that you will initial…as you go through the exit process,…and then place in the employee's personnel file.…
Another step in the process…is to prepare an exit interview questionnaire.…The purpose of the interview is to reduce future turnover…by understanding what might be causing people to resign.…Your exit interview could, in fact,…be an in-person interview…or it could be a survey sent out in an email.…Either way, explain that you would like to understand…what problems should be addressed, in their eyes.…Assure confidentiality and keep the interview…or email questionnaire simple and brief.…Sample questions include…
HR consultant Catherine Mattice outlines some of the considerations of the human resources professional, such as balancing the needs of employees with the interests of the organization. She reveals how to conduct an HR audit to identify HR practices that need improvement. She then outlines core HR responsibilities: staffing, training, documentation, compensation and benefits, performance reviews, job descriptions, compliance with state and federal regulations, and more.
- Explain the role of administrative HR.
- Describe how to build trust with employees.
- Summarize how to conduct an HR audit.
- Cite the best practices for personnel files and recordkeeping.
- Identify the important tasks involved in writing a job description.
- Recognize the fundamental components of a high-quality onboarding experience.
- Identify effective and ineffective ways to discipline an employee.
- Cite the key reasons for conducting an exit interview.