When you start a consulting engagement, your initial interview with your client is critical. That interview shows you the pathway to cross and roles you need to fulfill to satisfy your client. This video captures the initial conversation between a consultant and client to help you discover things you can learn from this vital moment in a consulting engagement.
- For this exercise, I'll role play the initial interview…at the start of a consulting engagement.…I'm meeting my client contract manager.…Based on this interview, note the roles I play…to successfully deliver this consulting engagement.…And then in the next movie, we'll talk through them.…It is so good to see you again.…Thank you for inviting me.…- Absolutely.…Would you like a bottle of water while you're here?…- I think I'm fine, thank you.…- Well, thank you for coming.…We have been so stressed with juggling four…financial management processes and the related IT systems.…
And pulling everyone together to centralize on one system…has proven to be even more stressful.…- Well, I'm happy to help.…How did you get to four systems in the first place?…- Well, our business has grown through acquisition.…And the businesses we purchased brought their own processes…and systems with them.…And while we had good intentions…to merge processes and systems, customer contracts…and growth opportunity just took a higher priority.…
- Identify the critical requirements needed to become a successful consultant.
- Review the roles a consultant can fulfill to increase their success when dealing with clients.
- Recognize approaches for assessing your success level with a client before you've received a formal evaluation.
- Explore how to switch between consulting roles without confusing or aggravating your client.
- Review the change management conditions that must be in place to successfully deploy your consulting solutions.
- Identify the actions that maximize your chances for future work with a client.