Projects get defunded. Deadlines get missed. Any number of things cause team morale to slag. When this happens, use positive messaging to encourage your coworkers past the setbacks.
- The project gets unexpectedly axed.…Or your team is presented with a near impossible deadline.…Maybe, layoffs are looming.…Any number of things can cause team morale to hit a snag.…And when optimism is barely there,…the first thing we all do is try…to protect our own best interest, which makes perfect sense.…Our need for self preservation…has served us well as a species for centuries,…but we aren't exactly protecting our young…from wild animals.…
We're worried about something bad happening…within the four relatively harmless walls at work.…Though our instinct is to shield ourselves from harm,…low morale is a really great opportunity…to put ourselves out there for the sake of the team.…Being encouraging and positive when a lot of people…on the team are having a bit of a hard time…is an act of great empathy.…Acknowledge the achievements the group has accomplished…and then single out individuals…for their own personal success.…
Heartfelt compliments are a great unifier…and a powerful motivator.…And these compliments don't need to be elaborate.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is empathy?
- How to be empathetic at work
- Practicing positive communication
- Identifying communication styles
- Approaching difficult conversations
- Practicing empathy in groups
- Fostering collaboration
- Encouraging coworkers