The quiet ones are the listeners, observers, thinkers, and doubters. They are important to your team. Learn how to encourage team members who don't speak up with the questioning funnel, 90/10 rule, and QAC.
- In the previous section, we talked about being a good…listener rather than talking about yourself…and being genuinely interested in the others in your team.…And now I want to take that idea a step further…and look at how you can encourage other people to talk.…Some people, like me, don't need much encouragement to talk,…but others are more introverted and need it…to be pulled out of them a bit.…Often these quiet people are the listeners,…the observers, the thinkers.…They're the people who might spot the one…vital flaw in your plan, so they can be the most…important ones to find out about.…
A good team player will identify them and make sure…that they're encouraged to make their valuable…but reluctant contributions.…I used to work in a manufacturing company…with a friend called Clive, and he was…very, very clever, but in meetings he tended to say…nothing at all, so the boss would be talking…about some big problem, and everybody would be saying,…"We don't know what to do," and afterwards,…after the meeting, Clive would say to me,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Getting the job done
- Dividing up the work
- Cultivating communication
- Handling conflict
- Delivering reliably
- Playing more than one role
- Using your strengths and dealing with your weaknesses
Skill Level Beginner
Project Management Foundations: Teamswith Bob McGannon1h 29m Appropriate for all
1. The Importance of Teams
2. What Makes a Great Team?
3. Your Responsibility to Other Team Members
4. Becoming a Better Team Member
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.