Learn the basics of employment law and how it applies to your role as a manager.
- Now, labor and employment law is a loaded topic.…Let's just say it's definitely more…than what I can cover in a short video,…but I love a challenge, so let's try.…As a federally recognized employee of a company,…you have certain rights and laws in place…to ensure your safety and fair treatment…when working for companies operating in the United States.…You've probably come across them in your employee handbook…or at some point signed statements…indicating you've received a copy of them.…However, here's a brief overview of the laws and regulations…that protect you and the people you manage…in your work environment.…
The Americans with Disabilities Act, ADA.…This prohibits discrimination against a person…with a legally qualified disability.…If a person can perform the functions of a job…with or without reasonable accommodation,…they are protected against discrimination.…The Age Discrimination in Employment Act.…This act applies to companies with 20 or more employees…and prevents employers from giving preferential treatment…
- Identify which legal concept you will become most familiar with as a manager.
- Explain why it is important to ensure an injured employee receives medical attention.
- List the three steps you should take to mitigate risks when an employee violates the code of ethics.
- Define business ethics.
- Recall which concept the courts will not consider when piercing the corporate veil.