Through a model of duel perception, learn how to improve in your ability to empathize with others.
- I was at a networking event once…and moseyed up to a group of people…talking to introduce myself.…And you know how sometimes you can't think…of that one actor's name or that one movie?…So this group was trying to figure out…who sang this one song.…I knew the answer and when I shared it,…the guy next to me kinda hit me and says,…"Oh yeah, that's it."…Then right after, he turned to me and said,…"I'm so sorry I touched you,…"you probably don't want some random guy touching you."…Now, I was shocked, I did not expect that…and I certainly didn't need an apology.…
His arm smack was perfectly fine with me.…However, what struck me is what he said.…"You probably don't want."…He was empathizing with me, he put himself in my shoes.…Now, I'm not suggesting that we all have to go around…profusely apologizing if we bump into someone.…But I am suggesting that we all work…on building up our empathy.…And by the way, what if I was muslim?…It would have been totally inappropriate…for him to touch me and an apology…would have been very important to me.…
- Explain why you should always think of sexual harassment in terms of power.
- Recognize how to justify discipline without abusing the rights of the person you are disciplining.
- Recall how to address the values of your workplace culture without challenging or creating negativity.
- Identify the benefits of paying attention to the body language of coworkers.
- Name the default position companies should take on managers dating subordinates.