Paul walks you through the role of emotion and why it's so critical to your sales story. He goes further to discuss the four techniques that help bring out emotion.
- People whose livelihoods depend on selling something…has known this instinctively for centuries.…Emotions play a critical role in decision making.…But it's only been in the last few decades…that scientists shed some light on exactly how that works.…There's a lot of psychological research…showing that human beings make subconscious,…emotional decisions in one place in the brain,…and then justify those decisions more logically…and rationally in another place in the brain.…So, while it may sound counterintuitive,…we need emotions to make good decisions,…and while facts and figures and logical arguments…aren't very good at reaching people emotionally,…stories seem uniquely adept at it.…
But one of my favorite definitions of the word story…is by novelist EM Forster.…He said that a story was nothing more…than a fact plus an emotion,…and he gave a brilliantly simple example.…He said, "If I were to tell you…"the king died and then the queen died,…"well, that wouldn't be a story, would it?…"But if I told you the king died…
- What is a sales story?
- Why tell sales stories?
- The 25 sales stories you need
- How to get buyers to tell their stories
- What makes a great story great?
- Choosing the right story to tell
- Finding great stories
- Story structures
- Challenge, conflict, and resolution
- Delivering stories verbally and in writing
- The ethics of storytelling