Identify three key requirements for quality standards for individual customer service employees. Review practical examples of the requirements at work, and how they can be incorporated into an overall, cohesive approach.
- To be effective, the quality standards you establish…for customer service employees…must meet three key requirements.…We'll look at each here,…along with some practical examples of how to create…a cohesive approach.…The first requirement for effective quality standards…for individuals is that they must flow directly…from your organization's mission, vision, and values.…The Walt Disney company is an example of this principle.…When Disneyland was created in 1955,…they described their vision simply as we create happiness.…
They then developed a simple set of standards…to operationalize the role of employees,…or to use their terminology, cast members.…Those same four standards are at work today,…there are Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency,…and underneath each standard Disney itemizes…two or three key actions.…Under Show, for example,…are the actions, I stay in character,…I keep my area show ready.…They then the describe the behaviors…that support each action.…
Now, you aren't likely to find gum wrappers…littering the ground,…
Watch and learn how to establish quality standards in customer service, and improve loyalty, revenue, customer satisfaction, and employee engagement. Brad Cleveland divides the lessons into three chapters, covering quality and customer service definitions, quality standards for individuals, and quality standards for the overall organization. Along the way, he shows how to implement a process, measure progress, and effectively coach employees.
- Recall three sources of input when developing quality standards.
- Recognize recommended practices used to set quality standards.
- Summarize three elements to keep in mind when developing standards for individuals.
- Determine the meaning of calibration.
- Identify the characteristics that define four aspects of customer service.
- Identify the most important factor observed in organizations with effective quality standards.