Are your employees having fun at work? Are you? If not, why not? It’s okay make work fun. It really is. There is no logic against it and the good news is it improves employee engagement. In this video Don Phin discusses how Pikes Place Fish Market and Southwest Airlines brought fun to formerly drab industries, boosting engagement and boosting business.
- Are your employees having fun at work?…Are you having fun at work?…And if not, why not?…Do you think people have to look…and act serious in order to be productive…when all that really means is they're…overly stressed and have a constant headache?…Listen, it's okay to make work fun.…Really, it is.…There's no logic against it.…In fact, most of us want to enjoy our day at work.…Life's too short not to.…Of course, I'm not encouraging reckless or bad behavior,…just good-natured fun.…
My favorite example of a fun place to work is…the Pike's Place Fish Market in Seattle.…It's a great story of how the fish mongers…and other employees decided to have fun working…with dead, slimy, and smelly fish every day.…If you visit them in person or online,…you'll see fish flying, lots of cheering,…great customer attraction and a cash register…working nonstop.…Deciding it was a value to have fun produced…such amazing bottom-line results that a program called…A Fish Philosophy was built to help other companies.…
The mantra for that program is be there, play,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Exercising discretionary effort
- Attracting engaged employees
- Assessing the fit of employees
- Making onboarding more engaging
- Learning from new employees
- Provide opportunities for career growth
- Clarifying objectives
- Measuring engagement using surveys
- Being present for employees
- Driving engagement with fun