Join Steven Brown for an in-depth discussion in this video Distributing your products, part of Logistics Foundations.
- A friend of mine recently retired…from a large electronics distribution company.…When I first met him several years ago,…I remember asking him what exactly his company does.…He said "we make large boxes into small boxes."…A pretty simple response to a rather complex question.…What my friend described…is certainly a primary function of distribution centers.…Large retailers like Walmart provide…a good example of this.…Walmart may buy a shipping container full of…flat-panel TVs from a producer in china.…
Those TVs are shipped by ocean carrier to Los Angeles,…by rail to Dallas,…and by truck to the Dallas distribution center.…At the distribution center they will break down…that large shipment into smaller batches…to be shipped to individual stores within the area…based on the needs of each store.…Distribution centers work very hard…to make this process as efficient as possible.…One way to do this is to use the Cross-Docking method,…and Walmart was one of the early adopters…that have truly perfected this technique.…
These lessons will help you understand the importance of logistics and help your company prepare for efficient delivery, distribution, and inventory. Plus, get insights on the latest logistics trends.
- Define order fulfillment.
- Describe the significance of logistics.
- Explain outbound and inbound logistics.
- Distinguish among transportation options.
- Explain the Bullwhip Effect.
- Identify types of obstacles to coordination.
- Manage customer requirements.
- Describe how to differentiate your company.