Join Steven Brown for an in-depth discussion in this video Differentiating your company, part of Logistics Foundations.
- I once worked for a major US electronics company…in their semiconductor business sector.…This business is commonly referred to as the chip industry.…When I interviewed for a managerial position with them…I asked what their biggest problem was.…You know, the kind of stuff that keeps managers up at night.…They told me that they had difficulty delivering orders…to their customers on the promised delivery date.…Now, I want to emphasize that expression:…promised delivery date.…
In many cases, the customer placed an order…with a requested delivery date that we could not meet.…So, we negotiated for a delivery at a later date,…which means the customer is already disappointed.…The customer agreed to a later date,…sometimes months later,…and we promised to deliver on that date.…So, the customer has gone back…and rescheduled their business plan…to accommodate this new date,…and is counting on us to deliver as promised,…and we would consistently miss this date.…
As you'd expect, this ongoing problem…began to affect our sales figures.…
These lessons will help you understand the importance of logistics and help your company prepare for efficient delivery, distribution, and inventory. Plus, get insights on the latest logistics trends.
- Define order fulfillment.
- Describe the significance of logistics.
- Explain outbound and inbound logistics.
- Distinguish among transportation options.
- Explain the Bullwhip Effect.
- Identify types of obstacles to coordination.
- Manage customer requirements.
- Describe how to differentiate your company.